Planning for your Session:
- Newborn sessions are best during the first 10 days of life
- When you book your session (as early as 6 months out) your EDD is penciled in on the calendar. After baby arrives we schedule a firm date and time for your session at the ARG Studio.
- A Newborn Session requires a $150 session deposit to hold your spot on the calendar.
- With few exceptions, all Newborn Sessions are held in the ARG Studio. A spacious, comfortable, centrally located space set up for fabulous images of your new family addition.
- Amanda has a growing collection of swaddles, wraps, blankets, headbands, etc for use during your session.
- Newborn Sessions generally take about 2 hours. Please plan accordingly.
Before the Session:
- Avoid shots or other medical procedures the day before the session
- Lay out any accessories, swaddles and/or blankets you’d like to include the night before to pack for the session and avoid a forgotten piece. Remember to keep it simple – too many options can be overwhelming and I have lots of goodies in the studio, too!
- Although there is no real schedule with newborns, it’s helpful if baby is kept awake for a good stretch and then fed and changed just before the session. A sleepy baby is the easiest baby to photograph.
- Parents and siblings should have a bite to eat just before the session as well! Bring snacks and a drink to the session – there are some stocked in the studio but it’s nice to have “your choice” as well.
- If siblings are participating, please plan for them to leave after the sibling and family shots or bring quiet entertainment for the duration of the session.
What to Wear
- Baby’s skin is incredibly prone to color casts (or colors reflecting off of nearby, strongly colored fabric and objects). Because of that, I recommend soft colors, though not necessarily pastels, to avoid color casts on baby’s skin.
- Clothes should be gentle on mom’s body and easy to sit and cuddle in. Often, maternity wardrobe favorites are what makes mom feel the most comfortable. I have several options in the studio that will work on a variety of shapes and sizes.
- I highly recommend a hair (and make up!) appointment just before your session. I’m happy to make recommendations. You deserve a little pampering – and it truly makes a difference in the final images.
- Think about how you want to use your images – announcements, art in your home, etc. when deciding what to wear.
- Most newborn clothes are too big and don’t photograph well. I suggest using coordinating or neutral wraps/swaddles for baby.
- Dads shoot well in a button down (sleeves rolled and tails out is ok!) or solid tee with no logos. Polo shirts (unless brand new) don’t always shoot the best! Neutral, soft colors work well for Dad, too.
- Please arrive about 10 minutes before your session is scheduled to start. We are unable to add extra time to your session if you’re late.
- Don’t hesitate to call/email if you have questions!