When I was working on Lapin’s nursery, I knew I wanted to use a small decorator’s table at the end of her bed and dress it up with a pretty layered skirt and glass top. I was inspired by this Ballard Designs table:
$99 for the 24 inch glass wasn’t in my budget! So I got resourceful – and between Googling and Pinterest-ing I managed to piece together a process that would give me an antiqued, mercury glass-esque table top for a fraction of the price.
I started with a basic three leg, pressed wood “Decorator’s Table” from Wal-Mart and an equally as inexpensive piece of glass that fit on top. For the “mercury glass” effect, I used Krylon’s Looking Glass spray paint and a Martha Stewart gold – both from Home Depot.
There are a whole bunch of tutorials out there about faux mercury glass- and the one thing they all have in common is to use light, even coats of paint.
This is from the back after three or so coats of the Looking Glass paint…
This is from the top! It’s starting to look like a mirror! One of the tutorials I read suggested using a vinegar water solution to “eat” some of the paint off to help with the antique effect. I sprayed the solution on the tacky paint and waited about 5 minutes… then I blotted. Not uch had changed – so I rubbed a little with paper towels and voila! It took some of the paint off…
I thought it was too much, so I added back two very light coats of paint.
It’s looking pretty good – but not what I’d envisioned. BAck to Google and PInterest. I looked at a ton of mercury glass things – candle holders, frames, ornaments, etc – and all of the ones I was drawn to had a warm tone to them – I wanted that!
I had this can of Martha Stewart Precious Metals “Antique Gold” from another project. Perfect!
I did two kind of sloppy, not even coats of the paint on the backside. I covered the entire surface so that any holes on the mirror paint would be filled and the white cloth on the table wouldn’t show through too bad.
For this project, I loved the lines from wiping some of the mirror paint off and the super irregular gold flecks. I’d envisioned the final project looking like something that had been dug out of a pile in an antique market – well loved and with tons of character.
I’m totally in love with the final effect and table. There are silver and gold tones in the nursery and the table top helps them all fit together with purpose and sense. I wish I had something else to do this to! A simple project that had a ton of impact!